The Youth Project has an extensive library available to youth, their families and those who work with youth across Nova Scotia. While our library is located at our office, we are happy to mail books out to youth elsewhere in the province.
We have a very large selection of young adult fiction with LGBT themes, characters and authors. Our collection includes novels, graphic novels, poetry and comics. We have several books by Canadian authors. We also have several children’s books. Our non-fiction section contains books on coming out, gender identity, parents of LGBT youth, homophobia, Gay Straight Alliances, healthy living and relationships, and many more topics.
For avid readers, we recommend the Youth Project book club.
You are now able to access our library catalogue on-line. You now can view which books we have, write your own reviews and make recommendations to other readers.
Enter the Youth Project Library now.
Summer Reading Challenge!
The Youth Project needs help— we need our many LGBTQ books read and reviewed! This summer, take the Youth Project Summer Reading Challenge! Read books from our library, review them online, and win great prizes! How can you take part?
1. Sign up for a free Youth Project library account at www.youthproject.ns.ca/library.php
2. Check out any title, and start reading.
3. Review it! Visit the book’s page on our library catalogue, and write a review—in it, answer any two of the following questions:
- My reaction to this book was...
- The main message I took from this book is...
- I would/would not recommend this book to others because...
- If I could hang out with one character from this book, it would be...
- My favourite quote from this book is...
- The character I could relate the most to is...
- LGBTQ youth should read this book because...
4. Tell us that your review is posted by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org!
5. At certain book/review milestones, you can claim some fun prizes! And with each review submitted, you’ll be entered to win an E-READER at the end of the summer!
ENTER THE YOUTH PROJECT LIBRARY CATALOGUE!
These are TBA, but after certain milestones you’ll be able to collect awesome prizes!
I’m from a rural area, can I participate? Yes you can! Sign up for a free library account, check out a book, and if you’re in Nova Scotia we’ll send it to you with instructions on mailing it back to us.
How do I sign up?
Visit the library catalogue and click Create New Account.
How do I post a review?
Find your book in the library catalogue (search by title or author). At the bottom of the page will be a space to submit your book review.
Past AGM reports: 2010-2011 | 2011-2012
It Gets Better
Check out this It Gets Better video from the employees of Pride Health, Capital Health and the IWK - a big thank-you for all the Youth Project shout-outs! These are the people in your community!